Friday, June 10, 2011

A Chic Runner on the Cheap.......

Wherever I go, I'm always on the lookout for flooring options.  I have parquet wood (the cheap stuff) floor upstairs that I desperately want to replace.  Actually, I'm thinking of painting the floor but until I'm able to do that, I keep looking for other options.  While shopping at the Dollar Tree with my girls the other day, I came across these black and white striped rag rugs. What I like about these rugs is that they are washable, reversible and have that classic black and white stripe that goes with just about anything.  I thought this would make a perfect runner.  I could sew a bunch of them together and make a runner for the hallway upstairs that would not only cover the floor I don't like, but also add a punch of pattern to the upstairs.  So, I purchased 11 rugs and went home to make my runner.  It took all of 40 minutes to make this and a whopping $11.00 to make a 25' runner. I did go back however to buy some non-slip liner for this rug which cost me an additional $5 (I used the sticky shelf liner).   Here's what I did in case you want to make one for your space.......


Here's what the rugs looks like. This is reversible and looks the same on the other side.

 
I basically laid out the pieces in a row and then started sewing. I would line up two rugs and then flip the bottom rug over the top piece and sew along the black edges. Then, flip the top piece back over and your done.

 
 Here's the progress.   Almost done!

Fast Forward 10 minutes........
 
And here's what it looks like when it's finished........
 

 
 
This was before I put down the stay put liner so it looks a little wavy.  I like the punch of pattern it puts in this space and of course that fact that it covers the floor. What do you think?  If you decide to try this, I would love to see pictures of your rug.  
Enjoy your weekend!

1 comment:

Post a Comment

 
;