- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. snipped fresh cilantro
- 2 medium jalapeño chile peppers, stem removed and thinly sliced*
- 2 small shallots, peeled and thinly sliced (or 4 green onions, white parts only, thinly sliced)
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1 cup diced green and/or red tomatoes
- 2 avocados, peel and seeded, coarsely chopped
- Sea salt, kosher salt, or salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 to 6 all-beef frankfurters or other bun-size sausages
- 4 Tbsp. butter, softened
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 4 to 6 sub or hoagie rolls, split
1. For Avocado-Chili Relish, in a bowl whisk together olive oil, cilantro, jalapeños, shallots, and lime juice. Gently fold in tomatoes and avocados. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper; set aside.
2. Prepare frankfurters as desired.
3. In a small bowl, mix the butter and garlic. Spread butter mixture on the sub rolls. Ina large frying pan or on a grill rack over medium heat, place the rolls buttered side down and toast until light golden.
4. To serve, tuck frankfurters in toasted rolls and top with Avocado-Chili Relish. Serve immediately. Makes 4 to 65 servings.
*When working with hot chile peppers, wear plastic gloves or wash hands well after cutting; the peppers contain oil that may burn skin and eyes.
Like the recipe? Check out her cookbook here