Monday, April 30, 2012

Girl's Bathroom.....Check.

Happy Monday everyone!  Hope you had a nice weekend.  Mine was spent in the bathroom....  Not that kind of bathroom but the kind where I'm painting and cleaning and re-arranging.  I thought I would never say it but I love this bathroom!  There's enough storage in here for both girls which is huge, the layout is good and there's a window in here for natural light.  When we first moved in, this bathroom had gray cabinetry and safety orange walls.  Literally, the walls were construction cone orange and there was the same texture on the walls in here as there was downstairs.  This was actually the first room that we attempted to sand the walls down to try to get rid of the texture.  It took forever which is why we elected to re-Sheetrock the other areas that had this same texture.  The floors had the gas station tiles that matched the gray on the cabinets and then the laminate counter top completed the look which was also gray.  So, what did we do in here?  Well, for starters we took the cabinets and sanded them down, added trim to make them more architecturally pleasing and painted them Decorators White by Benjamin Moore. The walls were then painted Distant Gray also by Benjamin Moore.  I bought some vintage glass knobs to give some character to the cabinets and drawers and then I found some chrome towel bars that we cut down and installed beneath the sinks for hand towels.  Then, we tore out the ugly gas station floor tile and replaced it with the slate tile that I bought at ReStore. The counter top and sinks came out too. Although we were originally going to use the left over slate from the floor to use on the counter top,  we decided instead to go with mosaic sheet tile that I found at ReStore.  This was going to be a better look overall and did not add to the cost of the project since we could install this tile without renting tools.   The sinks were purchased from Overstock and they look great in here.    The mirrors are from Ikea and the shower curtain is from Anthropologie and no longer available. The window treatment is actually 4 Chilewich place mats that I sewed together and then added the trim from an old shirt I was going to donate.  I was looking for a window treatment that would still let in the light but would add some privacy from the outside as well.  I looked at buying the real Chilewich window treatments but they were $$$ so I saw the place mats at Marshall's and made my own.  I love the pattern it gives when the light shines in.  The towels are on a coat rack rather than a wall mounted hook because I like the look of it better than the traditional hooks or bar plus the towels dry better this way too. The chandelier, ceiling light, color sketches, ladies restroom sign, pink and gold limoge dish, bottles for hand soap, coat rack, plant holder and fur rug are all from resale and thrift shops.  I think that about covers it.  Want me to be quiet now so you can see it?  Let's go back a few and then go forward shall we?  Here's before.  Apologies for the lack of before pictures, but you can get the idea.

Old counter top and sinks.....

 
Close up of the laminate........

 
Window that needs covering......


Gas Station Chic tile floor.......

 
And now, here's the bathroom all completed.....

 
 

 
 

 
 


 

 

 

 
 


 
 


 

 
 
 
 
Sorry about the toilet shot.  I tried and tried to get an angle around there was no way.  At least the lid's down right?  I know it looks like the towels are going to fall into the toilet, but I assure you that they are far enough away that they don't come close.  Just sayin.

I really think this is a bathroom that the girls can enjoy for a long time.  I am so glad that we were able to do this affordably.  It can be so intimidating to remodel a bathroom because it can get so expensive.  If you're willing to be flexible and resourceful, it can be surprisingly affordable and worth every penny. 

Once again, I have to thank HH for his hard work and crazy good skills.  Clearly we save a lot of money by doing the work ourselves and I'm so lucky to have someone that enjoys doing this as much as I do.  Thanks HH!

Have a great day!  On to the next project..........
























No comments:

Post a Comment

 
;