Tuesday, April 26, 2011

A place for fun..... (Part Two)

Hope everyone had a wonderful Easter holiday.  Our house was full of fun, laughter, good food and good company.  In the midst of all that fun, I was able to sneak away for a bit and finish the space that I was working on last week for my daughters.  There might be a few little changes here and there but the finished space is soooooo much better than it was and I'm excited to share it with you and hear what you think about it. Here are some pictures of the space before:



 
The best part of this space has to be the great light that comes from the windows.  We have a lot of big trees on our property so when you look out the windows, you feel like you're in a treehouse. 

 
Not a fabulous picture I know.  I just wanted to give you an idea of the size of the room.  

Now, let's move on to the fun stuff.

 
Just to recap, here's the $45 Ikea Dining Table I found at the thrift store. 

And here's the space now.....


This little nook has now been transformed into a budding artists space complete with paints, glitter, pencils, pens and more paper than you can imagine.  Let me show you around. 
 



The stools are from Ikea and have a plastic seat that I recovered with oilcloth and vintage pom pom trim.  All from remnants that I had so these didn't cost anything. I'm so glad I was able to re-use these stools because they are perfect under this table.  I also like the playfulness of the patterns and the pop of color it provides against all of the white. 


The bookcase was originally in this space but I moved it under the windows and attached a rod to it and used some old white linen curtains to cover all of the paper and other supplies that budding artists need to create masterpieces.  In other words, stickers, staples, tape, paper, more paper, a little more paper, water colors, tempera paints etc.  I went back and forth on the window treatments because I really like the light that comes through here.  I did a window treatment (actually I tried several different options) but decided on hanging a fun garland instead.  This might change down the road but for now it feels right.   The sparkle FUN letters represent what the room is for.  Fun and creativity.   I have always dedicated a space for art and getting messy since my girls were babies.  It's very important to me that they enjoy expressing themselves through art and using different media to be creative and imaginative.  As they've gotten older, I've noticed that art has become an outlet for them and it makes me happy to see them enjoy art and all that encompases.  Okay, enough talking.  Let's see more....


 
I wish you could see the colors of this vintage globe better.  The globe is navy blue and the rest of the colors are pink, yellow, green, purple and orange.  They remind me of candy.  Pretty and educational. That's what I'm talking about.
 
I picked up this old metal tray last week at a thrift store and decided to put it to use here.  This fits perfect and it's on wheels which makes it even neater.  It says Atlas Products on the front and since it's two tiered, the glitter and flocking powder have a place too. 
 

I like to re-use cool containers for other stuff.  I bought these candies at World Market and decided to keep the container for pencils.  I hot glued the can to the base of a pedestal soap dish that I had laying around.  The dish part broke but I kept the base so I could re-use it. 
 
 
  We clearly haven't put all of the stamps in here but you get the idea.  This works well because the stamps dry fast after they are cleaned.
 
 
Lastly, this is where they display their work.  There are two of these on each wall.  I call these trays but I have no idea what they were originally used for.  They are very versatile and they have a great patina to them. I'm glad that I can put all of them together in here.
 
Well, that's what I've been working on the last week or so.  The desk and bookcase combo is coming along and I got the rug delivered yesterday for her room and it's going to be fabulous.  I can't wait until it's done.  I'll keep you posted on the progress. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
;